Turmeric has been used in the Indian religious ceremonies – Hindu rites and rituals for thousands of years. It’s common belief among the Hindus that Turmeric improves fertility and is considered as the symbol of purity and prosperity. During religious ceremonies, Turmeric mixed in water is poured on the God and Goddesses. As Turmeric is considered to improve fertility and bring good luck, dried turmeric roots with betel leaves are offered to Indian women during ceremonies.
Turmeric is one of the very few medicinal plants which possesses a wide spectrum of medicinal uses and has been used by many cultures across the world from early times. Turmeric has been used for centuries in Ayurveda, a 5000 year old natural healing system of medicine that is indigenous to India.
Reasons to add turmeric to your diet
1. It is useful in disinfecting cuts and burns as it is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent.
2. It has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevents breast cancer from spreading to the lungs.
4. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
5. It is a natural liver detoxifier.
6. It helps to prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
7. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works well as many anti-inflammatory drugs.
10. It helps in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis.
11. It is a natural painkiller.
12. It helps in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. It is used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. It helps to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
16. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
17. It helps to boost immunity and fight allergies.
18. Stimulate digestion
19. It helps to control the female reproductive system and purifies the uterus and breast milk, and in men it purifies and builds semen, which is counterintuitive for a pungent bitter.
20. It reduces fevers, diarrhea, urinary disorders, insanity, poisoning, cough, and lactation problems in general.
21. It is used to treat external ulcers. Turmeric decreases is used to remove mucus in the throat, watery discharges like leucorrhea, and any pus in the eyes, ears, or in wounds, etc.
22. It is used for epilepsy and bleeding disorders, skin diseases and help the lungs expel mucus.
Note: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.